Morrisons Cove Herald - Putting cows on the front page since 1885.


The Sportsman's Corner

BFO Incidents


With heavy rains blowing out my favorite local streams for much of the spring, I've gotten little fly-fishing in. For a while, though, several spots on the BFO River remained fishable.

One drizzly afternoon before the BFO was blown out, too, I'd hiked to the top of a pool where I'd been having some success. I'd just sat down on a log to wait for some flies to hatch when I heard voices: two guys in separate one-man pontoon boats were anchored at the head of the pool. I heard the first one say, "We'll be back by four. Nothing's happening on the river. You could have the meal ready shortly after that."

That sounded like a guide arranging a meal for his customer by cell phone. I then heard his customer. "Just sell half the shares and put the money in a liquid fund. We'll deal with that later. Don't sell the other stock. It's pretty steady."

I almost fell off the log. A guy sitting on a little paddle boat in the middle of nowhere was speaking on a cell phone with his broker, which seemed totally out of place. I disgustedly left for home. When I told a couple people about this later, one asked me, "Did this surprise you, Rich? Today's world is a lot different from the old one you still try to live in."

The other incident, a more enjoyable one, had occurred a couple evenings prior to the cell phone incident. I was at another spot on the BFO, fishing during a light hatch of sulphur mayflies. In the high water only a few trout were eating the bugs, but I was fooling them. It was nearly dark when I ran into a pod of four or five fish greedily feeding. I had caught a few nice trout here in other years. "Tie on a fresh fly," I told myself.

I missed the first fish to take it.

The next trout I cast to slowly engulfed the fly; I calmly set the hook. The trout zoomed out to mid-river. It took me several anxious minutes to coax him back to the edge of the river where I netted him. Although I was somewhat disappointed that the trout was a rainbow, I was amazed he was as long as my 23" landing net, making him the largest trout I have ever landed on a conventional dry fly. My photos in the near-dark do not do the fish justice. However, landing the big trout made a nice crystal moment for me.


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020