Lutheran Church Dedicated
125 Years Ago
February 13, 2020
Herald of Feb. 7, 1895
Two full columns on the front page of the Herald and two continuation columns on the back page were devoted to the dedication of St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church, which was described in the headlines as “A Churchly, Convenient, Commodious and Beautiful Structure.”
Dr. R.T. Eldon purchased a lot on the first block of West Allegheny Street, Martinsburg, between the alley and the Presbyterian Church for $150 from Dr. F.G. Bloom and was expected to build on it a dwelling house and office.
The farmers of Williamsburg and vicinity were organizing a Farmers Institute to b...