Morrisons Cove Herald - Putting cows on the front page since 1885.

Brooms to Be Made in RS

125 Years Ago

 

April 30, 2020



Herald of April 25, 1895

Ed Harker of Roaring Spring added broom manufacturing to his list of industries, which included cigar manufacturing. He also was erecting a new building to house the operation.

The firm of John B. Skyles & Co., coal and grain merchants of Martinsburg, changed its name to Skyles, Miller & Co. with William Skyles becoming the junior partner in the business.

A unit of the fraternal order called Empire Knight of Relief was instituted in Martinsburg with William A. Oellig, George Wehman and R.T. Eldon as leaders. The group was to meet in the Odd Fellows Hall.

While lighting a lamp in her millinery shop’s show window, Mrs. Young ignited the lace curtains. By the prompt action of persons nearby the blaze was soon extinguished without much loss.

The primary and intermediate grades of the borough schools closed for summer vacation.

The Martinsburg Water Co. agreed to supply water for the new Pennsylvania Railroad water tank being erected near the station.

 

Reader Comments
(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2019