Flag Shown in Martinsburg
75 Years Ago
July 23, 2020
Herald of July 26, 1945
A large German flag which was made to fly over New York City when the Stars and Stripes would be pulled down, once the Germans captured the American metropolis, was shown in Martinsburg. The flag belonged to Sgt. Robert Wade Cherry, son of Mr. and Mrs. C.H. Cherry of Baltimore. The soldier and his parents were visiting at the home of the young man’s siste, Mrs. Charles Nier, and husband, who lived in the Wagner apartments on North Market Street.
Local dairymen who became members of the newly formed Morrisons Cove Artifical Breeding Cooperative elected 12 temporary directors. The directors were as follows: Blair County: Robert Brumbaugh, Curryville; Jacob Frederick, Roaring Spring; Oscar Hoover, Claysburg; Harry Replogle, Roaring Spring; Ralph Smith, Martinsburg; and Emory Sollenberger, Williamsburg; Bedford County: S.E. Baker, Waterside; Ray Barley, New Enterprise; Galen Furry, New Enterprise; S.H. Markey, Loysburg; William Pressel, New Enterprise; and Kenneth Shaffer, Woodbury.