125 Years Ago
Dike Built to Stop Flooding
June 3, 2021
Herald of June 4, 1896
Fred Smouse of Martinsburg was building a dike for Dr. J.W. Wengert of Clover Creek (Fredericksburg). The wall of considerable length was intended to prevent the inundation of the doctor’s lawn and garden, which has been a very common thing in the past as the town has been flooded often on Main Street beyond the comprehension of those not familiar with the place.
The East Sharpsburg school house was being used a meeting house by the Dunkards.
About 500 people attended a baseball game on Decoration Day between Martinsburg and the Black Diamonds of Altoona. Martinsbur...