125 Years Ago
Martinsburg Holds Parade
November 10, 2021
Herald of Nov. 12, 1896
Every village staged a rousing parade celebrating the victory of McKinley, Republicans, sound money and prosperity over Bryant and free silver. According to the Herald, Martinsburg had the finest parade --and it was the largest ever held in the town. There were 600 to 700 in line. The parade started from the open ground near the railroad depot and was under the marshalship of Dr. W. M. Bolger, with the Messrs. W. S. Nicodemus, H. G. Nicodemus, E. H. Brown, A. L. Mentzer, Ed. Breidenthal and D. T. Snowberger as aides.
John W. Blake, “The man who converted Iowa for...