75 Years Ago
Barn Destroyed by Fire
December 16, 2021
Herald of Dec. 19, 1946
The barn on the farm of Mrs. Hattie Estep was destroyed by fire. A large herd of cattle owned by Harry C. Burket, a tenant on the farm, was saved. The barn was a complete loss. It was insured for $3,000, but would cost $10,000 to rebuild. Several fields caught fire as well. The barn was one of the largest along Clover Creek, and was the third large fire reported in the Cove in recent weeks.
Another smaller fire occurred in Martinsburg in the chicken house on the farm of Harry Forshey of Hickory Bottom. Straw caught fire from a kerosene heater, but there was limited...