Church Abolishes Pew Rents
Herald of March 4, 1897
The First Presbyterian Church of Hollidaysburg, one of the oldest churches in the Juniata Valley, abolished pew rents and was solely dependent upon the voluntary pledges of its congregation to raise its revenue. It was one of the last churches in Central Pennsylvania to change to free pews.
A new railroad was being built near Williamsburg extending from Cove Dale to a terminus to be known as Sparr station. It would cover a distance of two miles from the Aetna branch of the Altoona division of the Pennsylvania Railroad. The railroad construction was expected to gener...