Children’s Home Opens
Herald of April 15, 1897
The Blair County Children’s Home was officially opened in the old Juniata Collegiate building in Martinsburg on April 12. Thirty rooms were furnished and additional accommodations could be made for 150 children. Children between the ages of 2 and 16 would be housed, and provided with schooling and training in housekeeping for the girls and farming for the boys. They would be hired out when old enough. Mrs. S. C. Schafer was matron.
Orders were given by the Cambria Iron company to move the large stock of ore from the Gaysport furnace to Johnstown. Some people thoug...