Morrisons Cove Herald - Putting cows on the front page since 1885.

By JOSEPH WALK
For the Herald 

Newcomers to the Cove: And More Cove Names

 

April 28, 2022



This is the third and final article about names in the Cove written from a newcomer’s perspective. It was fun figuring out why places in the Cove were so named.

Rodman is located in Taylor Township between Roaring Spring and McKee. Two iron furnaces were built, one in 1862 and the other in 1872, by Knapp and Company. In 1873, there was a financial panic and subsequent depression which forced operations at both furnaces to cease. The Blair Iron and Coal Company leased the furnaces in 1877 but in 1885 the furnaces were shut down and dismantled shortly thereafter. In 1930, New Enterprise St...



For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2021