PIAA District VI Awards Scholarships
May 5, 2022
At the annual meeting of Athletic Directors and Principals of PIAA District VI member institutions, it was announced by Chairman William Marshall that $18,600 was awarded in scholarships for the 2021-22 academic year by PIAA District VI.
The PIAA District VI committee organized the annual District VI Student Athlete Scholarship program, named after long-time Hollidaysburg Area and Huntingdon Area Athletic Director Dean Rossi.
Dean was a friend who helped influence many Athletic Director’s professional careers and was always working hard to represent the best interest of his student athletes.
The criteria for awarding the scholarship includes:
• The student-athlete must participate in at least one PIAA-sanctioned sport within the last calendar year and graduate in 2022.
• The student-athlete must have a 2.5 or higher grade point average.
• The selection does not have to be the best athlete, but should be a student-athlete that has been coachable, a great teammate and displays the ideals of sportsmanship in and out of the athletic arena.
• Any student-athlete that has been ejected from a PIAA athletic contest is ineligible for the award.
The award winners for the 2021-22 academic year included:
• Central – Katheryn Longenecker, Parker Gregg
• Claysburg-Kimmel – Sierra Walters, Wyatt Buell
• Williamsburg – Ashley Brubaker, Caymen Hughes