Putting cows on the front page since 1885.

75 Years Ago

Cannery Ends Season

Herald of Sept. 11, 1947

The Blue Mountain Cannery at Martinsburg ended production for the season after shattering all production records from the past 11 years by producing over six and a half million cans. Superintendent M. V. Bankert left by train from Altoona with a crew of 36 men to help finish the canning in Minnesota, where the corn season was later.

The street known as Lime Kiln Lane on the north side of Martinsburg was officially designated “Forshey Street” by borough council. Albert “Bert” Forshey owned almost all the property on both sides of the street along its entire two block le...

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 
Rendered 06/20/2024 09:53