Putting cows on the front page since 1885.

Portage Railroad Subject Of Duncansville Historical Society Meeting

The Old Portage Railroad was the subject of May’s meeting of the Duncansville Historical Society. Amateur historian Donald B Miller talked about the rise and fall of the Old Portage Railroad.

March 21, 1824, a board of Canal Commissioners were appointed. Surveys of routes over the Allegheny mountains were completed in December 1824. In February of 1826 construction of “Public Works” were authorized by legislation. On Nov. 21, 1829, Civil Engineer Mencure Robinson reported on his survey.

In 1830, the Lemon House was built on the crest of the Allegheny Mountain. On March 26, 1831, Contracts let...

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 
Rendered 07/20/2024 01:23