100 Years Ago
October 12, 2023
Herald of Oct. 19, 1923
Arrangements were completed for the reenactment of the massacre of the Bedford Scouts at the junction of Sugar Run and the Little Juniata near Canan Station. A boulder taken from a quarry at the top of Dunning Mountain near Claysburg was being unveiled during the program with a plaque that read “Forty-five rods east of this point on June 3, 1781, occurred the massacre of the Bedford Scouts. Seventeen men fell on that day, massacred by the Indians.”
James Barber, an aged southerner, raised in Virginia and sold as a slave six times, took shelter in Martinsburg Mond...