Putting cows on the front page since 1885.

125 Years Ago

Lafayetteville Store Hit by Fire

Herald of April 20, 1899

The grocery store of D.R. Ebersole at Lafayetteville was nearly destroyed by fire. The roof, rafters and gable ends of the upper floor were consumed in the flames. With hard work of neighbors, the flames were extinguished and the other buildings saved, but the stock was considerably damaged. Mr. Ebersole was not home at the time of the blaze. The fire was attributed to sparks from an engine going along the road, as there was no fire in the store for several days.

Henry Heltzel and Charley Snyder moved their saw mill from New Enterprise to Henry Heltzel’s at Bakers Summ...


Reader Comments(0)